7 Steps Improve Mental Health
Photo credit: MGDboston from morguefile.com
Prescription For Improved Mental Health:
- Help Others – 2 to 5 times a week or as often as you can, preferably do this anonymously
- Activity – 10 to 30 minutes of healthy activity each day to create positive energy and release those “happy hormones”… endorphins that trigger happy feelings
- Cook – 2 to 3 times a week or as often as you would like, especially for others as you can feel better by helping others be healthier too
- Clean – do up to 4 chores per week, i.e. dishes, vacuuming, purge items and give items away. This gives energy and helps keep a cleaner, healthier place to live
- Vocation – while still at school or working, keep searching for your dream full time job, upgrade your education, learn more to reach your goals
- Social – get together or connect with friends/family a couple of times per week. Constructing healthy relationships requires consistent work over time
- Self-Care – do a few things each week (if not daily) that you enjoy. Also engage in positive self-talk… coaching yourself as if encouraging a 5 or 6 year old you.
Over the coming month, apply these gradually, yet more and more consistently in your life. Track the results. You will likely be very surprised at how a few little adjustments in your routine, small shifts in behaviour, can have such a positive and profound impact on your mental health and quality of life.
Happy New Year !